From soothing arthritis symptoms and easing muscle pain after a workout to enhancing sleep, tart cherries have been credited with an array of health advantages. Studies attribute the positive effects to anthocyanins – plant pigments that have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties – found in high levels in tart cherries.
Guard Against Degenerative Disease and Inflammation with Tart Cherries
• Physical exercise can induce muscle damage that generates inflammation and with it, burning, stiffness, and pain. The effect worsens with age.
• Standard treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil®) involves potentially deadly adverse effects, such as stroke.
• Evidence shows that the weave of complex anthocyanins and phenols in tart cherries provides superior protection against muscle injury—by safely inhibiting the pain and inflammatory effects.
• The potent components in tart cherries have been demonstrated to deliver high-level protection against inflammatory and degenerative diseases, including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
• Protects the heart
A high intake of anthocyanins – abundant in purple and dark red fruits and vegetables like tart cherries – was associated with a decreased risk of myocardial infarction in young and middle-aged women.
• Reduces stroke risk
The University of Michigan Cardioprotection Research Laboratory suggests tart cherries may help reduce the risk of stroke. They found that tart cherries acted similar to prescribed drugs used to help regulate fat and glucose in patients with metabolic syndrome.
• Lowers triglycerides
High triglycerides in your blood can raise your risk of heart disease. This study found that consuming 8 ounces of tart cherry juice daily helped to lower triglycerides by 17 percent, on average.
• Decreases cholesterol levels
Scientists reported a 26 percent decrease in total cholesterol levels in mice that were given a tart cherry powder, as well as a 65 percent reduction in early death – likely due to improved cardiovascular health.
• Increases sleep time
A new study found that drinking Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks helped increase sleep time by nearly 90 minutes among older adults with insomnia.
• Improves sleep quality and duration
Adults who drank two servings of Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate each day for seven days slept about 40 minutes longer on average and had up to a 6 percent increase in sleep efficiency, compared to the participants who drank another beverage.